So with me begin a first time mum i wanted to share with you the things i wished people had told me about pregnancy! Because lets be honest if you have been there you will know, its not all glowy and gracious looking and looking all cute with your ever expanding bump….Heres a few actual REAL truths i learnt along my 39 weeks ;
- Morning sickness is not morning sickness at all! It’s ALL DAM DAY sickness. Like i am not kidding! The nausea doesnt ease after you have been sick either. You need to find what works for you and go with it! For me the only thing that would help curb the nausea was ginger ale and ice poles!
- You will look bloated and round well before you even have a bump! I honestly thought when i was 6 weeks pregnant i must of been about 14 weeks + but nope it was just the good old bloat! Everyone that i know who has had a baby did say the bloat was the worst. I found it really hard to hide aswell because i was actively at the gym 6 days a week and i was actually the skinniest i had been since high school…So to try and hide it i was in Johns jumpers from about 8 weeks to hide the belly bloat! And well this wasnt the greatest considering we had the hottest spring/summer in like FOREVER!
- Its bloody exhausting growing a tiny human! Like literally exhausting! Now dont get me wrong im a woman who loves her beauty sleep but the first trimester i think i was sleeping beauty! I would come home from work and sleep from about 6pm and not wake till about 7:30 am to get ready to go back to work! Poor John didnt see me for weeks cause i was always in bed or taking naps at the weekend! The 3rd trimester was pretty much the same…i napped so much!! Honestly take all the sleep you can get it because once they are here, even though people tell you to sleep when they do, you dont or you cant because of all the visitors trailing in and out or you are too busy staring at our beautiful creation!!
- Its soooooo hard to get comfy! Just prepare yourself for 40 weeks of never being able to get comfy again!! The pregancy pillow was the best purchase for us! it helped me loads as my bump got bigger! Oh and get a birthing ball! I think from about 24 weeks on i lived on that thing! I deffo got my moneys worth out of it!
- It is the BEST & weirdest thing ever feeling that baby move in your belly! And it feels nothing like people say it does! Its a very distinctive “oh wow that was baby” kinda feeling. Sort of like when you have a smear test and its a weird feeling up behind your belly.? People said to me its like popcorn popping, but lets be honest how do you know what that feels like? I never got the popcorn feeling i just got really strange movements and i could see them too! But when you feel it you will 100% know its baby cause you wont have felt anything quite like it before!
- Ultrasounds HURT!! Yep, never knew this till it happened to me! Grayson was, and still is a wriggler and they had to jab him to get him to move into the correct position so they could do all their measurements. Also they press down REALLY hard and it actually really hurts, especially when you have a full bladder and you are trying to hold it in so you dont wet yourself!
- Its like being budda. You know the god with the big belly that everyone rubs for good luck. Yeah people literally want to touch you ALL THE TIME. Its like they think touching a pregnant person will bring them luck or im gonna grant them 3 magic wishes!? Is super weird and totally awkward at first..but after a while you get used to it and soon tell people off if you are uncomfortable. Now dont get me wrong i didn’t mind friends and family doing it…but when i was standing at the check out in Aldi and someone starts rubbing me..yeah thats weird! LOL!!
- You get emotional. VERY emotional. Like i literally would cry at ANYTHING! I spilled a punnet of blueberries on the floor and i cried for 10 minutes! Everything used to piss me off. the littlest thing would make me angry! I remember me and John fell out cause we couldn’t go out for a walk…so yeah i cried again cause i was angry cause we couldnt go out in the pissing rain!! Oh yeah and you get hangry, alot. I suppose its kind of like being on your period but everyday…and for 40 weeks!
- The floor is very, VERY far away. You drop something while pregnant? Is dead to you!! I had to buy slip on shoes cause i couldn’t bend to tie my laces! And from September onwards UGG boots were the best things ever!!
- Get used to never seeing your vajayjay!! Honestly its gone! Never to be seen again! I actually forgot what mine looked like! I did have a nicely kept one until my bump got in the way so god only knows what it looked like! Those poor midwives! Was i embarrassed? Was i FUCK!! Was i scared to see it after my bump went away? OH YES!! I did attempt to shave it while i had the bump, but when you do it blindly without being able to see anything…..it is NOT a pretty sight when you finally see it again!
I really hope you have enjoyed reading a bit about some pregnancy realness and if you arent pregnant yet ive not put you off!! Honestly its hard, but my god is it worth it! So just embrace it and go with the flow! Some people have it harder than other…some peoples pregnancy is a total walk in the park! But just enjoy it, pregnancy is such a beautiful thing to experience for those of us who are lucky enough to experience it! Dont take it for granted. Enjoy the good, the bad and even the ugly parts of pregnancy. You are growing a tiny human!!
If anyone else has anything else they wish they knew about pregnancy we would love to hear them!! Pop them in the comments below!